Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Job Hunt Initiated

Let's think of my current employment situation. For the summer (at least) I'm working at the Joseph Regenstein Library Acquisitions department at UofC. I've had this job since arriving to campus in 2004, and the only reason why they haven't kicked me out right after graduation is because we're allowed one extra quarter of employment. So because of that, I'm in desparate need of a full-time position come September.

For full times, I've applied to:
*The Art Institute
*The Field Museum
*The Museum of Contemporary Art
*the...reg....

Ok, the reg is not a long term goal, but if I can't find work anywhere else, I would like to be able to work there at least. They wouldn't have to spend much time training me, since I'm already used to the software. Plus, I like to be able to have health insurance.

Besides, I've blown off Teach For America and Progressive Futures. I've already corrupted the youth of America through booze and other illegal acts. I shouldn't add TFA to my list. Plus Progressives Futures was paying less than my job at the reg.

Also a more pressing issue is the need for a part time job. The reg pays enough to live, but I'll need more wages to cover living in Chicago. I already have a side job transcribing for a PhD candidate, which pays well, but again I'll need to supplement that.

So in the area of part time, I've applied to:
*Reckless Records
*Hugo Boss
*Vosges Chocolate
*Lucky Jeans
*Georgio Armani
*Belmont Army
*Tulip
*Tabu Tabu
*Urban Outfitters

Yes it's all retail. Hey, I have minimal experience in retail working as a folder in JCPenny summer before junior year of high school. Funny enough, they ALL REQUIRED RESUMES!

So let's keep the time table in mind.
I have until NOW to find a part time.
I have until late September (or until Aaron and Martin DRAG me out of the department) to find a full time.

No comments: