Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Post UofC Life: 3 weeks later

This past Saturday, July 5, marked 3 weeks after I graduated from the University of Chicago with a degree in Anthropology. Right now, I'm sitting in my new apartment in Bridgeport (an area in Chicago next to the White Sox Stadium), listening Devandra Banhart and drinking Goose Island. Michael, one of my new roommates, is washing dishes a few feet away from me, while Vanya the cat just sits and watches (without the usual yowling!). Life wise, however, is not so easy and mellow. How did I get here?

Let's go back a little more than four years ago.

When I graduated Downey High School in 2004, I was in the top 4% of my class. I had a GPA above 4.0, plus extracurriculars up the ass. I was to go to the University of Chicago, graduate, then go to Veterinary Medical school to become a vet. It was all planned out.

Oh how naive was I.

Instead, I realized 1) how much I hated chemistry 2) how horrible I was at math 3) how extremely lazy I am when it came to general studying 4) how panicky I became in general. So I diverted from the bio to the anthro (after dabbling a bit in history), and instead of getting ready for vet school, I'm on the job hunt, with the possibility of flirting with grad school in museum sciences.

Back to now now.

So yeah. Here I am. In the pending need of a job. Problem is no one wants to hire anyone with a degree in Anthropology. May it be from the UofC, but I just pretty much set up a hipster image for myself when I add on that field (there will be another entry on my denial of hipster member ship in the future). It's pretty much useless. Except for museums (which is my ultimate #1 goal!).

And that's when this blog comes in.

I decided to create this blog for a few reasons.
*It was alot easier than having to repeat my employment status over and over.
*It will help me keep track of all the places I've applied to.
*This is easier for people not in Chicago (specifically Juanita and Camilo) to keep up with my life
*Out of the old apartment at the Plaza, I am the second to last one to start a blog (I bet Max won't start one, but whatever).

So without further ado, let the good times roll.

No comments: